You are part of the Client Delivery team where you will be running projects with and for our customers, focused on the successful delivery of our GIS-based optimization and automation tools for planning of Fiber and District Heating networks: Comsof Fiber and Comsof Heat.
In the future, this will also include extensions to other utility sectors (for example Smart and Power Grids).
A day in the life of an Application Engineer at Comsof:
Pre-sales: Together with our Sales representatives, you will approach possible prospects from the technical angle, and show the possible usage of our software tools.
Project and feature definition: Once a project has been defined, it will be your role to understand the clients’ wishes and requirements, as well as to identify the underlying reasons. Matching these to the current functionalities of our tools will allow you to identify the gaps.
Implementation of the defined features. This will be the main bulk of your work, where you will use the available code base to extend upon, create new algorithms and implement the customers’ requirements.
Training and support: After the code is finalized and tested thoroughly, we organize a training where you will explain to the customer how to use the general product, as well as the specific features you have developed.
Client Experience: You will use your technical background to support, enlighten and explain various complex topics to our customers.
Code Quality and Architecture: when developing customizations, the quality of the code is of high importance, because this allows us to maintain the code base and to keep on improving our tools.
The typical project timeline is usually limited to a couple of months, which will allow you to either run multiple projects in parallel or switch context at regular intervals.
Keywords: client interaction, Java, object-oriented programming, algorithms & heuristics, graph theory, telecom/utility/heat/smart networks
- You hold a master or PhD in engineering and/or computer science or similar with a good track record.
- You have excellent programming skills in Java or another object-oriented language.
- You have a strong interest in network planning, more specifically for telecom (fiber) and utility networks (heat, electricity, smart grids networks) and you are excited to continuously follow the state-of-the-art in these domains.
- Ideally you have some background in these domains, or you are willing to make your way into the subject matter enthusiastically.
- Experience with efficient optimization algorithms, telecom or energy networks and GIS is a plus.
- You speak and write fluent English, and (optionally) as many other languages as possible.
We’re committed to succeed, but are we a good match?
Self-steering – You can work independently and manage your own responsibilities. You take ownership of what you do, so we know who to give the pat on the back.
Solution-driven – Meet the team goals and raise the bar as a team, be creative.
Social – Everyone's a teamplayer in and outside office limits, fluent in English (Dutch is a plus, not a must) and plays in the big league (if you’re better than us at boardgames then you’re in).
Flexible – Not the yoga way of life, but in terms of availability, accessibility and competencies.
What’s in it for you?
- A versatile job with a generous salary package.
- The chance to work in a professional and challenging environment with a focus on graph theory, algorithms, software and innovation.
- The opportunity to contribute to a global software provider, leading in its domain (as proven by nomination for Export Lion 2017).
- An open working atmosphere with great team spirit, based at Dok Noord in Ghent.
- Flexible working hours with the possibility to work from home.